Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing recessed over dining area

Posted by moodycurve (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 0:45

The lighting for my dining area consist of a ceiling fan w/4 bulbs. I am going to remove the fixture and replace with 4" recessed lighting. My question is - how many recessed lights should be installed over dining area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing recessed over dining area

Over a formal dining table I usually use two adjustable MR16 low voltage pin-hole spots on a dimmer switch in order to greatly reduce the diners' awareness of the light source and also avoid shadows. I suppose for a very long table with a low ceiling you might be able to use three.

By using narrow, medium or wide beams it is possible to focus the light on the table top and avoid lighting the tops of heads.

If there are other parts of the dining room that need light (like walls, artwork, sideboards, other furnishings, etc) those should be on a separate dimmer switch.

o

Thank you for the response. How far apart should these two lights be (I will not be able to use the opening where the ceiling fan is now) - 3 or 4 ft?

o

You really should have a size of the room when asking what you need. Small tables should only need 2 or 3, but larger tables in bigger rooms would require more. I always typically use a 60 degree bulb in these rooms on a good dimmer to control lighting. If you use a 4 inch can, you can put in trims that can focus lighting in certain areas. 4 inch low voltage lights are very nice, and installed correctly, can yield awesome results. But I would want pictures or at least the size area used to determine what's best. I always work better with photos than dimensions though.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here