Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
led bars/led strips or t4 fluorescents ?

Posted by EATREALFOOD (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 0:02

I was all set on using Philips eW Powercore for UCL & possibly fluorescents for cove lighting...until I received the estimate. I knew Philips were expensive. Since I have some other electrical work to do I may reconsider. The electrician suggested Hitlights double density LED strips mounted in a protective plastic box/tube. Is anyone familiar with this product ? I need task lighting, ambient lighting is secondary.

2 runs of 7ft each
UCL price breakdown mat. & labor:
1) T4 Slim Fluorescents no dimmer-UCL & cove $1500.
2) HitLights LED double density LED strips no dimmer UCL & cove $1700.
3) UCL Philips Powercore on dimmer :$1800 & cove lights(I think fluorescent) $600 no dimmer

$3500 total using UCL Philips & cove fluorescents
$2725 total using UCL & cove fluorescents
$2900 total using UCL & cove LED strips
(Total price incl. installation of 2 dimmers for pendant lights & a fan, add GFI outlets, DW outlet,move switch box, install fan)

Better to stay w/ direct wire fluorescents since they are easy install and cost effective ? Also they would be easy to swap out later for LED bars.
Thank you for your opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: led bars/led strips or t4 fluorescents ?

I am using LED strip lights for my cove lighting (40 feet in the kitchen and 56 feet in the living room). I am probably going to use the single density (18 3528 LEDs per foot, about $1 per foot), and two strips -- cheaper than one double-density strip. Similar cheap supplier to Hitlights, LEDwholesalers.com. I'm using a Magnitude 150W dc transformer for the kitchen, and a Technomagnet 300W one for the living room, and magnetic low-voltage dimmers. I'm using the Lutron MFRD-6ND-120 dimmer, which is pricey, but it allows dimming from multiple locations, as well as by RF remote.

I didn't have the time/energy to find a cheap LED solution for undercounter, so I am using hardwired GE fluorescent lights, which are approximately $20 per foot.

No idea what my contractor is charging for install. I'll be doing the LED strip install, but he will wire up the 3-way dimmers to the transformers and run the low voltage wires to the coves, and the 120V for the UCL fluorescents.

o
RE: led bars/led strips or t4 fluorescents ?

Thanks for your input.
I'm going with the double density LED strips from Hit lights. They cost little more than the Fluorescents and I won't need a light rail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here