Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor hanging light size? Help!

Posted by twolabs (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 22:56

We are building a house and ordered most of our light fixtures online. Everything turned out great, except our outdoor hanging pendant (on front porch) is HUGE. I just attentive enough to read the measurements and see if it would look.

We have an 8 foot wood door and 11 foot ceiling on the front porch. The one we originally ordered was 28" tall and 14" wide...its looks like an oversize street lamp. Is there a general rule of thumb for size of the front porch hanging light? Certain number of inches tall per feet of ceiling height?

We really like this light, and they have a smaller one that is 24 inches tall and 12.5 inches wide, but we're still afraid it'll be too large.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor hanging light size? Help!

You made me laugh which is rare while building! Why not go to a big box store and see what a light that size would look like? I think the smaller might still be too large.

o
RE: Outdoor hanging light size? Help!

Thank you for posting this question because it made me examine my choice for front porch lighting! I assumed because of our tall ceilings in the house that the front porch would accommodate a hanging fixture--not so. Front porch was over-looked by me on my visits to the house because the steps weren't in yet, and so we always accessed the house via the garage doors. And when there, there's just so much to take in that it's easy for some things to get over-looked.

Anyway, you saved me! My order was about to be placed (finalized tomorrow), and I had to change to a flush-mount light for it to look right on the front porch.

Good luck with your decision.
Tracey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here