Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aussies_gw

Best fluorescent undercabinet lighting?

aussies
15 years ago

I'm in California and will need to install fluorescent undercabinet lighting in my kitchen remodel.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on what is the best fluorescent undercabinet option. Any opinions welcome - brands, types, sizes, bulbs ...?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• dim4fun
    15 years ago

Alkco is a premium brand with lots of options, about 11 fixture choices in just T5. Some can even be ordered as dimmable. Juno's UFL series is less expensive but is still good quality. I don't like to use the 1' fixture though as it has a different lamp/ballast than the longer fixtures which doesn't look exactly the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just one Alkco example

• aussies
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, that's really interesting. I didn't know there were any fluorescent undercabinet lights that could be dimmed. I will definitely look into them.

Unfortunately I may have to use some 1' fixtures though. Some of my upper cabinets are 36'' and some are 18'' wide. I will have a light rail under the cabinets though. I don't know if the undercabinet lights have to sit up in the recess under the cabinet, or if it's possible to build up the undercab space with a block or something so that the lights can be attached across 2 cabinets - so that I could avoid the 1' fixtures. I don't know if this would work or if it would end up making the lights visible or looking stupid?

Are the 1' fixtures of both Alkco and Juno different from their other fixtures?

Also, I'm assuming 3000k lamps would be best. Is this a correct assumption?

• dim4fun
    15 years ago

Modular cabinets? If a 36" is next to an 18" and they have light wells in the bottom the side interrupting the well space can be carefully cut for a 46". This is easiest if done before they are installed. If custom cabinets then typically they are built in larger sections without so many interruptions to the light well.

1' lamps require different ballast technology so yes, they are different for both. The slight difference in color may not be noticed but it is better not to be surprised.

3000K is good for most kitchen projects with warm color counter areas.

• chulaman
    15 years ago

Why not try LED lighting...I think it will meet your CA requirements. I am happy with mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Albeo undercabinets.

• aussies
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dim4fun, thanks for the tip about cutting under the cabinets to fit a 46'' light. Sounds like a great idea. Any idea how much more expensive the dimmable Alkcos are than the Junos? Also, are they more expensive to install or just to buy? (sorry if that's a dumb question)

chulaman, the LED lighting is interesting, but ironically I think they might be too energy-efficient for me to satisfy Title 24 requirements. (I need as many non-incandescent watts I can get, so that I can put in halogen pendants).

• dim4fun
    15 years ago

Alkco can be a little easier to install but costs a lot more. The dimmable ballast itself costs more than the Juno fixture.

• solarpowered
    15 years ago

Dim4fun, where is a good place to get those Alkco Little Inch 2 fixtures? The only Google hits for "Little Inch 2" or the part numbers are on the Alkco web site.

• dim4fun
    15 years ago

Any electrical supply should be able to order Alkco. You can try to find a local rep at the Alkco website. I hope they keep their list up to date.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to find a local source.