Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsjames1

Kitchen Lighting Help

jsjames1
13 years ago

Hi -

We are remodeling our kitchen and currently working through the light design. I have included pictures below. A few things to note:

- we are working with a sloped ceiling (8' on the right going to 12'9" on the left)

- room is 12' x 17'

- we are planning 2 chandeliers over the island as shown in the diagram

- for recessed lighting are thinking of 6" cans and use R30 reflector CFLs

My primary questions are related to the layout of the recessed lights.

- How many should we plan for?

- Aligned to counter edge or middle of the aisle?

- Should we break up and put on separate switches

I have taken a pass at a layout below, but any suggestions/comment would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

Comments (7)

• David
    13 years ago

The formula I used was to estimate ~ 35 lumens /sq ft.

Assuming ~ 600 lumens per recessed fixture.

In your setup, the number of recessed fixtures could be less, depending on the light output by the chandeliers.

Typically, lights should be placed close to the counter edge, except for the area around the chandeliers.

There could be interesting shadow patterns.

If you're planning on being able to control some lights separately (ie - chandeliers), they should be on a separate switch.

With home automation, you could have separate switches and yet control things from a central console. That way, lighting groups could be controlled in unison or separately.

HTH

David

• jsjames1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi David - Thanks for your suggestions. I've updated the plan as follows and removed 2 recessed light, although there might still be too many. I did put in a separate switch for the chandeliers and recessed over the islands.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• David
    13 years ago

Jeff,

I assume that you're considering dimming?

Vary the mix of recessed can types?

You probably can remove the recessed can near the hood.

Have you thought about under cabinet lighting?

David

• jsjames1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi David -

- I was planning for dimming on the chandeliers, but likely will use CFLs for the recessed - they do have dimming capable CFLs, but I don't think their very good yet.

- I haven't thought of varying the recessed can types - are you suggesting just different sizes? The only cans that i've seen for sloped ceilings are in 6" sizes.

- I haven't chosen the undercabinet lighting system yet, but the green bars are supposed to designate under-cabinet lighting. I don't have a lot of upper cabinets though.

Jeff

• David
    13 years ago

Hi Jeff,

Would you be willing to consider LED lighting, specifically CREE CR6 lamps? They will be available this month for No, not just the can size, although that would be a good start.

Hopefully you don't have to deal with Title 24 type laws where you live.

David

• jsjames1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The CREE CR6 looks promising and yes, I'd be very interested in this. However, I'm not sure on a sloped ceiling it would fit though. Since the trim is built-into the assembly, there doesn't seem to be an option for a different trim. Am I understanding how that works.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

• David
    13 years ago

Jeff,
    Cree lights come with trim attached. The trims are removable and there are a number of choices available from CREE.

Take a look at the CREE or the polar-ray website.

The LE6 could be more suitable for sloped ceilings.