Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Remodel 5' Can light placement help needed.. Thanks!

Posted by compman723 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 21:52

We are in final stages of electrical design and I am a rookie at light placement. I am attaching a picture of our layout along with a 3D view so you can get an idea of what it looks like.

We are looking for ideas on light placement mainly in the kitchen and dining room, but are also changing to cans in the entryway, mudroom and pantry so placement ideas in there are welcome along with other ideas besides cans if have.

Thank you everyone for your help!!!

Layout view

Photobucket

3D view
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Remodel 5' Can light placement help needed.. Thanks!

For now I think we have decided with pendant lights above island and just normal cans above dining room table but I can eventually change to pendants maybe. We were also planning on under cabinet lighting using LED and also just recently thought about LED for the can lights also.

Let me know if any other info is requested.

THanks

o

We are having a little trouble placing lights and making it look correct. I have 1 can centered in front of cooktop/hearth and then one on each side for 3 total. Then We were thinking about centering some on the island 3 again. But then this is where i get stuck and nothing seems to look right. Anybody have any opinions for this DIY'R?

Thanks!

o

This is my latest idea for the kitchen. The 3 lights because of floor joists and a beam are fixed already inn front of the hearth and cooktop besides that everything is open to changing.

Let me know what you think. By calculation of 35 lumens I figured 11 lights but this puts me at 13 which is okay I think.

Photobucket

o

I would use 6" or 4" cans with Cree CR/ LR lamps.

o

I agree with DT - you have more flexibility for the future.
I wasn't around when they installed the cans - they are 5 inch and limited options
Fortunately DH loves the 3000K and we put in Coopers - which are terrific!

One question - do you really want the cans over the floor or partially over the counter?

Over the island - consider pendants...

Too much of a good thing can cause problems...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here