Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_94952

hard-wired / self driven led under cabinet lights (ucls)

Kathy F
12 years ago

I'm getting a headache from my crash course in LED UCLs!!!!! I've been reading a lot here, but I'll admit I'm not really absorbing it all. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me to figure out the best way to go.

I am investigating LED UCLs for our kitchen remodel. The cabinets will be replaced, so it wouldn't be a hardship to get the wiring behind cabinets and/or drywall. Here's a picture of the cabinet plan:

The 5 cabinets with an * are the ones I want to use UCLs under. They are all pretty much close to 2' length in available under cabinet width (between the fences). I want to do UCLs along both legs of the corner cabinet. A few are less, but I'm pretty sure I can get my cabinet maker to modify if necessary to fit two 12" or one 23-24" fixture under those. There are a range hood, a window, and a full height cabinet that all break up the continuity of the cabinets I want to light.

An electrician will be installing my lights, but he doesn't seem to be aware of all the options out there, and has basically told me to choose what lights I want to use. He mostly does and is very comfortable doing fluorescent UCLs, but is willing to do LEDs.... It's just up to me to figure out the puzzle pieces.

So.. are there any really good 120V options out there that don't need drivers/transformers? It seems these would be the easiest to install, pretty much the same as the fluorescent UCLs he's familiar with, and therefore the cheapest in electrician hours. I've only found MaxLite and I read that at least some of their products are not highly thought of.

If that's not really a good choice, what is the best option as far as having the fewest drivers/transformers to get the job done? Are environmentallights and or superbrightleds places I can call and get coaching and support to help me understand what I need to order? Are there other good sources with reasonable prices? I'm thinking 2700K or 3000K is what I want.

Oh, and of course, I'd like it all to be reasonably priced. :)

TIA