Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edison style bulb equivalent to modern 75 watts? Do they exist?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 21:26

I want to use an Edison style bulb for my son's ceiling fixture, but the 70 watt I found says it's the equivalent of a modern 25 watt bulb, which is way too dim. Do higher wattages for this type of antique bulb exist?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edison style bulb equivalent to modern 75 watts? Do they exis

Have you considered CFL or more expensive LED bulbs?

o

The key figure is 'lumens'. An incandescent 75w bulb, under good circumstances, would emit about 1100 lumens of light. Today there are halogen, CFL, and a few LED options that emit light at that level.

For a kids bedroom, definitely go with at least CFL and hopefully LED. Most kids seem to have no idea how to turn lights OFF, so they are often ON for several hours a day!

o

The "Edison Style" filament gets only reddish hot. Edison did not use the tungsten and gases of today. So more of the 75 watts makes heat and less makes light. So the choice in this case is style or light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here