Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
light fixture over kitchen table off-center

Posted by nccmama (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 20:39

The hanging light fixture that is in my breakfast nook is off center. I guess that the builder found this particular spot to be the easiest place from which to hang a light, but it is definately and very obviously not over the center of where the table must go. What can I do remedy this problem? The guys at Home Depot told me to get a hook and swag the chain over to where it should be hung from, which is about 5 inches over. But isn't this kind of tacky? And, I really don't want to hire an electrician and mess up my ceiling and have to repaint it.

The light is a beautiful hand made Italian piece that I scored at a close out place for cheap. It's wonderful, and I hate to do it such an injustice by hanging it wrong. Do you think that I could cover up the hook and original ceiling plate by constructing a sort of decorative box with crown molding and faux bronzed tin ceiling panels? Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: light fixture over kitchen table off-center

If the fixture does not weigh over 25 pounds, you could purchase a 2' piece of track and an end feed along with a pendant adaptor. The track would run from the box to where you need the fixture to hang (the track can be cut) and you would wire the fixture to the adaptor. This has been done many times. If you don't like the idea of the hook, but it is the easiest, you can get a cord cover which is sold in lighting showrooms that matches the colors in the fixture and just put that over the chain and hook, then extend it over to where the box is.

Hope this helps.

o
RE: light fixture over kitchen table off-center

We had to do the hook/swag thing with our island light, and once you do it, you don't even notice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here