Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do i have to use fluorescent strips in small closet?

Posted by kateskouros (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 19:46

we'll have a few closets that are behind bi fold doors. what are my options for lighting? i really dislike (read: HATE) fluorescents of any kind; the color isn't right and they flicker; plus as long as i don't live in california i shouldn't have a problem, right? what can i use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do i have to use fluorescent strips in small closet?

do you already have a light fixture of any sort in the closet? If not you need either an electrician or some sort of battery operated light. I have 100W equavalent twisty bulb in a recessed can...supplies plenty of light.

o
RE: do i have to use fluorescent strips in small closet?

kateskouros, you will find out soon enough that fluorescents are stable and give good light. There are warm light fluorescents. There are dimmable ones. None hum, none flicker. I have already seen them, and they are already marketed in many areas. Hold tight and sit tight, they are coming to a store near you.

All things being equal, you wouldn't want to put a heater into a closet, unless you needed a heater, now would you? The old bulbs from the 20th century, incandescent, are heaters. They also produce light. Most of the Wattage is turned into heat. For most of the year you are cooling your house (not heating it) so you pay Twice to first heat up your incandescent and then to run your A\C and remove the offending heat. That reason alone is a great reason to look with an open mind at fluorescent bulbs. I could say more. There are more reasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here