Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
xenon bulb casts yellowish glow

Posted by scdeb424 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 19:35

I hope someone can help me--we installed undercabinet xenon lighting in our kitchen. This was 5 years ago and we have our first light bulbs to replace. These are wedge base clear 12 volt 18 watts xenon bulbs. I replaced the two bulbs with what I thought was the same thing--the description on the pkg described the above with also this # 9774 which I think is this bulb's identifing number. The light that comes out of the fixture now with new light bulbs is yellowish and not as bright like the other fixtures which have the orginial bulbs still in them. The original bulbs cast a bright white light that is great for kitchen prep. How can I get what I want--did I buy the wrong bulb?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: xenon bulb casts yellowish glow

Did you touch the bulb with bare hands?

o

"I replaced the two bulbs with what I thought was the same thing--the description on the pkg described the above with also this # 9774 which I think is this bulb's identifing number."

That there are two I Thinks in the same sentence makes me think you may have the wrong bulb. Please confirm that the model number for the old remaining bulbs match that of the new ones. If not get the correct bulbs. And yes a coating of finger oil is not good for bulbs. But check the number first.

o

Did not touch bulbs with bare hands but used a piece of white paper towel--did that ruin the bulb?
The area where the fixture is located is very difficult to reach & I did hold the wrapped bulb for more than 2 minutes on each bulb.
There are no identifying numbers on the old bulbs or the new ones just the 12 volt 18 watt.
But on the packing slip it states the what the bulbs are & uses the 9774 #.
I googled the number and saw that there is a 9775 as well but no discription on color of light.

o

Those look like auto part bulb numbers.

o

Take one of the old bulbs in to a good lighting store and tell them you need a replacement.

o

Roadbike, I think that's what I'll be doing this week even though I had hoped not to make a long drive--I ordered off the internet--maybe they were just bad bulbs. I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to be stuck with yellow/dim bulbs. Thanks for the suggestion to bring the old bulb--I might not have remembered to do that. I might bring the new ones too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here