Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED Questions

Posted by numbersjunkie (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 18:48

We are redoing our kitchen and thinking of replacing our recessed lights with LED. We got tired of replacing the bulbs (constantly) in our old recessed fixtures and now use CFL bulbs that are slow to warm up and don't give adequate light.

My KD said LED is also takes a while to attain full brightness. I've never heard this before - is it true?

She says there must be something wrong with our wiring to explain why the regular bulbs burn out so fast.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED Questions

LEDs have full intensity instantaneously.

Bulbs burn out for various reasons
1. Surges, spikes - could be due to harmonics, ...
2. Heat
3. Combination of the above.
4. Vibration
5. Statistical outlier (MTBF - does not mean that all bulbs will have the rated lifespan).

o

Your KD is misinformed. LED's do not need to warm up.

o

Sherwhy is absolutely correct. LEDs light instantly.

o

We also had problem with lights burning out after very short time, attributable to a 'bad neutral connection'. An electrician had us send the following in a letter to our electric company. After talking with our neighbors, who had similar complaints, the electric company dug up the street and apparently fixed the 'bad neutral connection'. No more problems!

Letter to electric company:

For some time, we have noticed that:

-- we briefly lose power several times per month
-- we have several power surges per month that cause our electronics to reset
-- our light bulbs burn out after only a few weeks of use

We had an electrician check our panel, meter box, and internal grounds, and everything was fine. He told us the problem is likely the neutral connection, and referred us to YOU, our electric company.

o

The voltage at our house is slightly over 120v. Sometimes it is 125v. Utility companies do this to push more power into growing areas. Our bulbs seem to go out before they should. I recently installed dimmers. Cranking the light back just slightly should help the bulbs last longer. The dimmer I installed (Lutron Maestro) also ramps up and down the voltage so they don't instantly hit the bulbs with full volatage. We'll see if this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here