Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nora recessed LEDs

Posted by katkatf (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 18:02

I'm getting ready to do a kitchen remodel in CA with a permit, so Title 24 matters.

My electrician is suggesting Nora recessed lighting. I asked re: Cree - the lighting distributor says right now, Cree has the best LED chip, and most lighting manufacturers use it. He's saying the Nora 6" (NLEDC-66230WW) and the Nora 5" (NLEDC-56230WW) are as good as the LR6. The Nora choices cost $84.75 per light (housing plus trim), the Cree LR6 costs $100.16.

Anybody know whether Nora does use the Cree chip and/or why I would want to pay $15 more for the Cree?

TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nora recessed LEDs

I don't have any experience with the Nora choices, but looking at the specifications, it seems that the LED chips may not be the same.

You can get LR6 units for ~ 79.95 online.

The LR6 also comes with the trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: polar-ray

o

Thanks, David, I chickened out on the Nora cuz I couldn't find really anything anywhere about them. I'm working to make a Title 24 solution work with CR6's with GU24 bases. It's been quite a runaround finding a way to do it without special ordering, but I think I got it figured. It's surprising to me that here in CA there's no place I can find locally that has the GU24 solution in stock.

o

You're welcomed.
Have you tried polar-ray.com?

Here is a link that might be useful: polar-ray

o

I did find several places on line that have the CR6 and compatible housings; I'll add polar-ray.com to the mix when it's time to order.

David, I really appreciate your willingness to help - not just me - I see you all over this forum!!!

o

The Nora uses the higher end Cree dimming chip and driver set up. It's a much better light than the lr6. The lr6 is problematic.

Mike

o

Katkatf: Every Home Depot stocks the CR6 with the GU24 base.

o

wws944 - yes but they don't sell compatible GU24 housing, which is why HD salespeople tend to recommend the integrated kits instead of Cree / EcoSmart.

It's possible to find locally, but easier to buy online using any of the compatible housing that people have found on other threads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here