Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hehateme_gw

Cree CR6 Dimming

hehateme
12 years ago

I am going to install this lights in my kitchen.

My dimmer is Crestron CLS_C6. This dimmer supports CR6.

However my electrician is telling me that he has to get an additional part that will make CR6 dimmable. I have no idea what he is talking about. Does this make any sense to you?

I want to make sure he is not installing additional parts that are not necessary. He did tell me that most of his clients don't use LED yet.

Comments (5)

• User
    12 years ago

Best to contact Cree. Their CS is excellent. We installed 32 CR6's when we finished our basement. Best decision we made. Can't say enough about these LED bulbs!We used Lutron Maestro Digital dimmers, no additional parts were required. Good luck.

• lee676
    12 years ago

> However my electrician is telling me that he has to get an additional part that will make CR6 dimmable. I have no idea what he is talking about. Does this make any sense to you?

No.

Cree has a list of tested/recommended dimmers on their website. Lutron also has some dimmers specifically designed with LEDs or dimmable CFLs, but if you already have something else, most conventional dimmers for incandescent lights should still work adequately well.

• hehateme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your input. I called Cree. They told me that Cree CR6 does not require any additional part to be dimmable.

I am going to use them in my gym. I will use a Lutron Diva CL dimmer in the guy.

In the snack area I will also have Cree CR6. It will be dimmed by Crestron CLS-C6. Even though Crestron is not mentioned on the Cree website Crestron mentions in their literature that they are compabible with CR6. The only requirement is to not dim below 3%.

Thanks

• lee676
    12 years ago

The CR6 is rated to dim to 5% which is about as good as any lights get including incandescents or CFLs. Oddly the more expensive LR6 line only dims to 20%.

See also my post from an earlier thread regarding my impressions of the CR6 in general

• triphase
    12 years ago

We used Crestron CLS-C6 dimmers in the past, one set was great, one was not. We did get line noise though these dimmers in a few houses. We then used Lutron electronic low voltage diva's and it fixed the buzzing issue. Lutron also has a Maestro dimmer that is electronic low voltage that also works great for this issue with LED's, and none of those are on Cree site for recommended dimmers. The new Maestros coming out are going to address a lot of common LED issues.