Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How did I break my light fixture?

Posted by just_julie (My Page) on
Sat, May 30, 09 at 17:20

And more importantly, how can I fix it?

It is a large, 48 inch round hanging fixture. It looks like 8 pillar candles sitting on a wagon wheel. Each "candle" uses a 40watt candelabra bulb.

The other night, I changed the 3 bulbs that were burnt out -- I didn't think twice about it because they've been in the light for about 4 years. When I turned the fixture back on, SIX lights were out! The ones I changed and then some!

It might be my fault because instead of walking around the table, I turned the fixture to change the bulbs.

The light hangs on 18 inches of chain and woven through the chain is a thick cord. The cord goes through a canopy and there are 4 "rods" that go from the canopy to the round part of the fixture. The thick power cord goes through one of the rods and I'm assuming around the circle.

Should I take it down and take it to a lighting store? Call an electrician? Is it an easy DIY?

Now that I think about it.. could dust have built-up and something shorted out when I changed the bulb? or something?...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How did I break my light fixture?

If you have,if fact twisted the wire in relamping, the two areas of concern woould be ..
1. the wires in the electrical bowx have disconnected.An easy fix , as long as you remember ro switch the power off at your breaker panel
2. the wires inside the fixtures have come disconnected.You may have to take the fixture down, and I would suggest that you take it to a lighting showroom nearby.Most electricians don't like to repair the inside of a fixture.
By the way , dust shouldn't be the problem .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here