Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hideous new lights, burnt eyeballs - Pls HELP

Posted by scoutyyy (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 16:18

I live in California and my electrician installed hideous new recessed fluorescent cans in kitchen remodel - they look like solar tubes, a bright blue/white beaming down, I think I burned my eyeballs.

What can I fix these with? I'm sure he used cheapo bulbs - can anyone recommend a good, warm light to replace these with?

Are diffusers available? I've looked all over online with no luck. There is no way I can live with these without my sunglasses on 24/7. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hideous new lights, burnt eyeballs - Pls HELP

Not knowing the specifics of the unit, I can't say exactly. But a few things that can help:

Take out a bulb and replace it with a new bulb with a color temperature of around 2700k- that should warm up the light.

Lower the wattage of the bulb.

Find out the manufacturer and see if they have any filters/ lenses in their catalog that you can use.

good luck.

o

I pulled them out and these are the bulbs...see link below. 26w 3500k color....so I should shoot for the 2700 range?

Here is a link that might be useful: Satco lightbulbs

o

I would opt for the 2700K.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2700K Version

o

Thanks granite_man and lightguy.

I will look for the 2700 ones. I knew my guy cheaped out. They are really horrible, very artificial looking and cold.

I appreciate the help. I'll save my sunglasses for the real thing.

o

I like the bluer (cooler) lighting color. It's just a matter of preference. If you have grown accustom to incandescent lighting, then you want to stay with warm color temperature lighting 2700k or so. A cooler color temperature doesn't necessarily mean cheaper..

o

The harshness of the lighting has nothing to do with the price he paid for the bulbs. So-called daylight bulbs tend to have a seemingly thin harsh light compared to the 2700 to 2900 degree bulbs. Despite their common name the light output has little resemblance to daylight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here