Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sloped beamed kitchen lighting-help!

Posted by CatRancher (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 16:06

We are halfway along in our kitchen remodel and I've gleaned lots of tips by lurking on GardenWeb. We have a New England ranch, designed and built in 1986.

The former owner apparently designed it herself, and believe me, it has NO symmetry and many quirks. We are always saying "What the heck was she thinking?!"

My current most pressing question concerns the lighting in the kitchen. The house has an open floor plan and the kitchen adjoins the dining area.

The kitchen originally had white tile floor, white tiled counters and white appliances. We kept the old oak cabinets but put in Armstrong pre-finished hardwood oak flooring, black and stainless appliances and soapstone counters. This has made the kitchen a lot darker.

We are eventually putting in a skylight, but that is a few years down the road. An z-shaped island w/ bar and prep sink is going in later this year.

So .... what to do about lighting. We are planning some sort of under cabinet lighting - suggestions appreciated. I would like to keep the track lighting, but buy a new set up. What would you suggest?

If we temporarily keep existing track lighting, what sort of bulbs would work best, particularly to illuminate sink area?

My partner wants to put some sort of lighting over the window but I don't think it will look good.

Although our house was built as a traditional beamed cathedral ceiling ranch we are trying to nudge the style toward cutting edge contemporary (think Dwell Magazine). Our budget is modest though, so we have to make do with some things (like keeping the cabinets).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sloped beamed kitchen lighting-help!

You could attempt cove lighting ( a form of indirect lighting where the light is directed upwards to the ceiling).

For instance, lighting could be placed on top of the beams.

o
RE: sloped beamed kitchen lighting-help!

How about doing a monorail? You could put it over the island and have some pendants as well as some spots on the monorail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here