Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions - Want to use Shower Recessed...

Posted by macfrodge (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 15:40

Hi -

I'm in the process of renovating the main floor of my 60s house, tearing down the walls, opening it all up, new kitchen, etc...

I'd love opinions on using shower trims for the recessed lights in the living room/kitchen/main floor.

I'm going for a more retro-modern look as decor. My preference when it comes to recessed lighting is that I don't want it to be a prominent feature.

That being said, I'm going to need around 20 of them, so this is going to be a pricey expense to make a mistake.

What I'm leaning towards is a very low-profile, frosted glass shower trim with a matte finish for the living room to make it disappear more readily, and with a semi-gloss finish for the kitchen so it can be easily cleaned.

Here
's a link to a trim I would consider.

A friend expressed her concern, saying that it would look odd to have "shower" lights in the living room and kitchen...and that she's never seen anyone who has this in a non-bathroom environment.

Is this odd??

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions - Want to use Shower Recessed...

I have to admit, I've always liked the look of shower lights too - one apartment I lived in had them out in the hallway as well as in the shower. These were standard 6" Lightolier or Progress cans with the flush white plastic lens. The only issue with these was that they could only take a maximum 60w bulb and the diffuser soaked up quite a bit of light, so they weren't all that bright (although they didn't need to be). That was years ago; nowadays I'd just pop in a 23w CFL bulb which is as bright as a 100w incandescent.

I've never seen or even heard of the ones you linked to - smaller cans that take metal-halide MR16 bulbs (the little bipin reflectors) 20w or 39w. I would think a 39w MH bulb would be quite bright - MH or other HID (high intensity discharge) bulbs are similar to fluorescents as far as efficiency goes.

If you like the look, go for it!

o

To problems with using shower lights, especially 5" or 6". the light output is terrible.
The regular can is rated for 60 watts, and the IC can ,which is required for insulated ceiling , is rated for only 40 watt.
But in each case the amount of light trapped inside the can is huge ,and the resulting light levels are very, very low.
As suggested , you can use CFL's , but in an enclosed can, with the lights used in a living space, instead of a shower stall, the length of life on the CFL is drastically reduce, because of heat build-up....a very expensive way to lamp your fixture.
There are low voltage MR 16 cans which are rated at 50 watts, which will give you much more light output, but they are a lot more money

o

The RSA trim/housing you linked to is for an MR16 based fixture at 37 watts max. Using an IRC lamp that could work.

For a 5" line voltage solution I've seen this combination used and it worked well for a contemporary art gallery's office area.

Juno IC20, 212 trim, Philips IRC 45 watt Par 30 short neck 36 degree.

There may be another manufacturer with something similar if you don't like that particular trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: Juno shower trim solution.

o

Thanks very much for the input - much appreciated.

I think I'm off the shower trim idea - though I do appreciate their sleek look.

Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here