Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice about Juno Lights

Posted by hehateme (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 14:54

Hi:

I am finishing my basement and the electrician is coming over on Tuesday 5/17 to do the wiring and install the cans.
For Kitchen area I have chose Cree CR6 lights and along with a Tech Lights Pendandts. I am comfortable with those choices.

The the familyroom/home theater I have chosen 4" recessed halogen lights. I was told that my electrician uses Juno lights. I was only given 1 day notice so I don't know anything about Juno lights. I spent a few hours reading these forums and it seems to me that Juno makes good products.

My home theater lighting layout is shown here.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m546/hehatem/Lighting-3.jpg

There will be lights in the soffit and in the ceiling.
I want the trim color to match the surface they are mounted on. The soffit color is black and the ceiling color is Sherwin Williams Van Dyke brown.

There are 3 lights that will be close to the projector screen. They will point to the screen. I am debating if they should be on the soffit or on the ceiling.
These should be angled Gimbal ring trim option makes sense.

There is so much types of trims and housing choices.
I think there is evena lens/reflector choice.
I want the bulb to be 50 watts.

I will have Insulation so IC makes sense.
Does have any recommendation on the type of Juno lights housing and trims I should choose.

I only have a couple days to make my choice and this is a bit stressful.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice about Juno Lights

Juno's basic lighting is roughly equivalent to Lightolier's Lytecaster and a bit better than Cooper's Halo. It is a lot better than Progress and Seagull. It is a step below Lightolier's Evolution, Cooper's Iris or Juno's Aculux but these are more expensive fixtures.

o
also

4" halogen lights can be line (PAR) or low voltage (MR16) but if you want to aim them I assume you want low voltage. Usually a reflector means a line voltage halogen lamp so I am confused about what you want to accomplish.

IC housings sometimes have a wattage limit for line voltage units but often not for low voltage units.

o

There are only 3 lights that are pointing towards the screen. All other recessed lights are pointing downwards.

I keep on forgetting that Halogen lighting can be line voltage too. For some reason I was thinking that all Halogen lights are low voltage and require a transformer

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

o

"I keep on forgetting that Halogen lighting can be line voltage too. For some reason I was thinking that all Halogen lights are low voltage and require a transformer "

Just watch out for vibration with halogen lights.
The line voltage bulbs have less rugged filaments than lower voltage and are very unlikely to achieve rated life with even the smallest vibration.

Puck type line voltage halogens are especially bad, but even PAR line voltage halogens are vulnerable.

The higher operating temperature (compered to conventional incandescent bulbs) and line voltage operation prevent the filaments form being wound for vibration strength.

This is why auto bulbs are 12 V.
The filaments can be wound in stronger shapes than a higher voltage filament could endure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here