Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting Help

Posted by homeimprovementdiva (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 13:54

Posted this first in Building a Home and got a couple of responses but thought I'd try here.

I went to local lighting store to get some help on where to put some of lighting (mostly recessed) and wanted to get some opinions. I also forgot to ask her about some particular areas she didn't note.
Any input would be greatly appeciated!

-she put 5" cans 4' from wall in playroom but I noticed they are only along edge of room. should I add more to middle or put a ceiling light?

-should I put ceiling light in kitchen?

-should there be lighting in stairway up stairs and she didn't put any in hall upstairs. should I add recessed in hall upstairs?

-she recommend long florescent light in laundry area (70/80's looking style) which I think is ugly. Would two ceiling lights be ok. There will be under cabinet lighting where the angled counter space is.

-we only have recessed lights over TV and two sconces in FR. we had that in last house and they were on dimmers and it worked good. we did have a lamp in one corner but hardly used it.

-there will be under cabinet lighting in kitchen along with recessed. any ideas on how to split up switches? I don't want all recessed on same switch, I'd like to split to at leaset two I think.

-not sure if I should put recessed over sink or a nice little fixture to add some interest and character.

sorry for the long post, just trying to get this right since it is a modular home and everything needs to be wired at factory so I can't stand there and show electrican exactly where I want them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting Help

She put the playroom cans 4' from the corners, not 4' from the walls. That is about 3' from the walls. It can work if playroom isn't very large. Can't see dimensions.

You needs lights at stairs and halls. Wasn't there an electrical plan for the house to start with? Maybe she assumed that you were asking for extra lighting or changes from plans?

In the kitchen you need something over the sink for that task area. Make sure there is light at the pantry that won't be blocked by open doors. Separate switches for under cab, sink, peninsula, 5" cans.

At the family room you need lighting over the narrow walkway between coffee table and couches/chairs. You do need to be able to see to work the A/V equipment but recessed lighting at a TV itself isn't required if the equipment is elsewhere.

You only get one chance and good lighting can make a huge difference in a home. You should go back and ask more questions. Will you purchase from the store and give materials to the builder or are you paying for the design help from her?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here