Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is going on with this socket?

Posted by buddyboyinc (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 13:51

This is a light fixture on the bottom of a ceiling fan in my girlfriend's apartment. I wasn't able to screw a light bulb into the socket, so at first I thought a bulb might have broken off in the socket, but after a closer look, I think that is not the case, and the socket is fine. However, I just cannot screw a bulb into the socket. It seems to be just a little too small - which is why I originally thought the silver part was actually part of another bulb that had broken off. Can anyone take a look at these two images of the socket and tell me if you see anything wrong? There appears to be a gray cardboard or fiber washer in the middle of the socket. I'm guessing that is just there to insulate the two contacts of the socket from each other.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4187/socket2.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4788/socket1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is going on with this socket?

It looks to me like it takes either a bayonet-type bulb or something smaller than the standard Edison-type threads. The tab in the middle of the hole leads me to believe there isn't a base of a broken light bulb stuck in there.

A picture taken at a 45-degree angle would help

o
RE: What is going on with this socket?

I think I figured it out. It probably takes an E11 (mini candelabra) halogen bulb. That makes sense from both the size (1mm smaller than E12) and shape (recessed middle contact that would take a small pointy base to reach it).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here