Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basic Recessed CFL Question

Posted by ronnyk (My Page) on
Wed, May 13, 09 at 13:30

I am considering putting CFL recessed lights in a family room as part of a renovation project. I would like to have the lights be dimmable but am confused as to whether the dimming is dictated by the ballast type on the fixture (magnetic versus electronic), the bulb type (I.e. a dimmable versus non-dimmable CFL bulb) or a combination of both. Can somebody clarify for me?

Thanks,

RonnyK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basic Recessed CFL Question

I'll try to clarify
"magnetic or electronic" describes the type of ballast used to drive a plug-in compact fluorescentl amp.
Neither are capable of dimming.
For this you must use a "dimming" ballast, an electronic dimming ballast.They are extremely expensive.
CFL usually refers to a screw in fluorescent lamp, and there are dimmable CFL lamps on the market.
These lamps are used in regular light fixtures.
But beware.
This technology, in the screw in lamps, has not been perfected, and is open to under-performing.Performance is affected by the type of fixture thet are installed in( their life is shortened and their output is decreased by the build up of heat in the fixture used.
Their performance is affected ,as well, by the quality of the dimmer used.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here