Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is track lighting 'out'? (pics!)

Posted by lara9143 (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 13:00

Hi all! DH and I are fixing up our first home, and our situation is in the family room - it is a large addition at the back of the house and nicely spacious(35' x 20'). But because it IS at the back of the house it gets the shade of our terraced backyard and none of the sunlight from the front (west facing) front.
The roof is flat with no crawl space above it to hide pot/recessed lights like I would love to do otherwise. So DH says our only option is (1) stick to table & floor lamps (which only give off a "glow" as is) or (2) install track lighting and hide the wires along the length of the exposed beams. Of the two I prefer the track because of the direction of light they would provide, however is track lighting "out"? What are the pro's and cons? Should we just stick to lamps?

Here are some pics of the room (please excuse the mess, these are before we'd settled in):

In the middle of painting the beams white:
Painting the beams white

Pre-white (PO had them stained forest green):
Pre-white beams

A photo from the home inspection:
At the inspection

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is track lighting 'out'? (pics!)

I have no idea if track lighting is "out". I've been looking at it, myself, and have decided to use some in our new place. That said . . .

I might put in track lighting, but aim the heads up at the ceiling, so the light is (mostly) indirect. Use some of them for direct task lighting, if you like.

Or, for a more labor-intensive option (more drywall & electrical work), I would put sconces around the room, and use lamps for task lighting. Unless you're going to be having hamster shows or micro-stadium football (both of which need great lighting I've heard ;o), an overall good ambient light is great for living spaces. This isn't a kitchen, after all.

Hope that helps . . .

o
RE: Is track lighting 'out'? (pics!)

It's not out, but it has been updated - the clunky plastic of yesterday is out. The new look is streamlined metal-finished tracks and lines with lots of variety of track lights and pendants.

I have beamed ceilings like yours and am about to redo the old tracks. Do you have Lamps Plus? They will come out and give you a free consultation, or you can peruse their catalogs.

Since your celing is not that high, nestle the tracks on the inside of a beam. There are also cable systems where you can run a cable between the beams and hang pendants off them, say over the coffee table.

Click to see some examples.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here