Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tadhg555

Help! Lighting advice needed

tadhg555
11 years ago

Sorry if this post is chaotic. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

We are in the middle of a full kitchen remodel of our 1921 pseudo-Prairie style house, and need to make some lighting choices. I don't have plans available, but here are some basics:

We will have a U-shaped kitchen (approx 12' x 14' x 8') with the 8' long stretch formed by a peninsula (with raised bar top for counter seating). There will also be a 5' long island in the middle. No upper cabinets. Two west-facing windows and 12ft wide sliding glass doors facing north.

Our original plan was the following:

1. Recessed lights (4" LED) above the countertop for task lighting

2. Recessed lights (6" LED) above the passageways

3. Semi-flush ceiling fixture (300W incandescent) above the island for ambient and task lighting

4. Three pendants (halogen) over the bar seating area

Our architect questions the use of recessed cans, which he says affect sound transfer between floors and also don't provide as much light as flush mounted (so you need more of them). He also doesn't think that they fit with the style of the house.

My original plan was based on the assumption that recessed cans would do just that -- i.e., "recess" into the background so that the main ceiling fixture and three pendants would be the main focal point. It also seems much easier (and cost effective) to find recessed LEDs. We have to contend with Title 24.

Can anyone give advice on what might work? Are there quality LED lights that would work as task lighting and passageway lighting but wouldn't make our ceiling look like a collage of competing fixtures?