Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Lighting advice needed

Posted by tadhg555 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 12:54

Sorry if this post is chaotic. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

We are in the middle of a full kitchen remodel of our 1921 pseudo-Prairie style house, and need to make some lighting choices. I don't have plans available, but here are some basics:

We will have a U-shaped kitchen (approx 12' x 14' x 8') with the 8' long stretch formed by a peninsula (with raised bar top for counter seating). There will also be a 5' long island in the middle. No upper cabinets. Two west-facing windows and 12ft wide sliding glass doors facing north.

Our original plan was the following:

1. Recessed lights (4" LED) above the countertop for task lighting
2. Recessed lights (6" LED) above the passageways
3. Semi-flush ceiling fixture (300W incandescent) above the island for ambient and task lighting
4. Three pendants (halogen) over the bar seating area

Our architect questions the use of recessed cans, which he says affect sound transfer between floors and also don't provide as much light as flush mounted (so you need more of them). He also doesn't think that they fit with the style of the house.

My original plan was based on the assumption that recessed cans would do just that -- i.e., "recess" into the background so that the main ceiling fixture and three pendants would be the main focal point. It also seems much easier (and cost effective) to find recessed LEDs. We have to contend with Title 24.

Can anyone give advice on what might work? Are there quality LED lights that would work as task lighting and passageway lighting but wouldn't make our ceiling look like a collage of competing fixtures?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Lighting advice needed

Have you looked at the Cree CR4 (ECO4-575 @ Home Depot) or CR6 lights?

They work remarkably well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here