Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed lights on vaulted ceiling

Posted by BlackChamois (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 12:53

I am having recessed lights installed in my living room. The living room space is about 12'x13' and has vaulted ceilings. The goal is to add more general (ambient) lighting to the space.

Because the ceiling is vaulted, how will this angle affect the way the light is projected (at an angle vs. downward)? Is there a special type of light or bulb that should be used?

I had planned on about 6 4" LEDs.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed lights on vaulted ceiling

Cove lighting (hidden around the ceiling perimeter) would work much better than recessed lights for vaulted ceilings.

o
RE: Recessed lights on vaulted ceiling

Depends on the slope of the ceiling. I used gimbal trims that have 30 degree tilt. What's the lumen rating on those LEDs? You might be disappointed with how little light they put out compared to a PAR30 75 watt in a gimbal 5" trim. Of course the halogens will use more energy but not nearly enough to justify what your going to spend more for LED. In a few years I bet LED bulbs will be cheap and it will pay to replace the halogens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here