Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hate new Energy Star CFL lights

Posted by kathy_a (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 11:55

As part of an energy conservation subsidy, we replaced 4 ceiling lights with Energy Star lights. We got ceiling work done at the same time and so we weren't at home when the lights were installed. The contractor installed them and threw away the boxes and then we saw them and hated them.

Anyway, I'll include a link to the lights we got. They are insanely bright - you could perform surgery under them. The light they give off is ugly, too. I honestly don't want to turn them on and just use lamps.

The contractor suggested taking out one of the bulbs, but I'm not sure that's enough. We got LED cans put in our living room where there was already recessed lighting. That light looks better and it is dimmable.

What would you do? I hate spending too much because I'm not sure yet if we will be able to return the ones we got. LED lights seem promising, but there are hardly any fixtures out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lights we got

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hate new Energy Star CFL lights

What color temperature is your preference? Sounds like you are describing cool or bright white lighting color. Maybe you prefer warm (Yellowish) 2700k

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Temperature

o
RE: Hate new Energy Star CFL lights

Lets figure out what is causing them to be too bright in that room. What was the wattage and the color temperature of the bulbs he installed. If you don't have the box ask the builder for the information.

The so-called day-light bulbs appear brighter because they are more blue. They are inapropriate for most houses because the light is too harsh.

You have have lights that are simply putting out too many lumens of light. The easiest way to check this is to compare the equivalent wattage to what was in the house before.

The builder may have used bulbs that

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here