Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED Chips: Edison vs. Cree?

Posted by JohnnyToronto (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 11 at 11:54

Hi. I'm looking to replace My MR-16 halogens with LED bulbs. Found a Canadian supplier called led lightscanada.com. Their 6 watt uses an Edison chip but their 9 watt bulb uses a Cree chip? There will be 9 of these bulbs in my kitchen, so I was thinking that the 6 watt would be sufficient. Is it worth going with the 9 watt and the extra price to get the Cree chip? BTW, i intend to put them on a dimmer. many thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED Chips: Edison vs. Cree?

Check out the lumens first. The wattage isn't too much help. For example, the Edison might use 80 lumen per watt chips and the Cree might be using 40 lumen per watt chips.
Does either have any Lighting Facts information? There's also color temperature and how your kitchen looks under each one.

Best is to get one of each and see what you like better.

o

I love Cree. In my kitchen there are two Cree led bulb. The price is reasonable with good quality.

o

Compare the CRI (Color Rendition Index), color temp, light output and price. The price is likely to drop as the various LED vendors (Nichida, Cree, Philips, ...) vie for market share.

o

Thx for all the responses. very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here