Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this type of light called?

Posted by ShellKing (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 11:26

I need two wall sconces that will go very high up on a 2-story living room wall. The original home owner put outlets 12 feet up on the wall for picture lights. I could really use additional light in the room and so I want to hardwire some sconces up there. The outlets are already wired to a wall switch.

What type of light should I be searching for? Searching "Wall sconces" gets me a lot of vanity-type lights that would look silly 12 feet up. I thing I want something that looks like a half-bowl with upward light?

Does this type of fixture have a name?

I think it also has to be big, right? Any size recommendations? I think it needs to be at least 18" wide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this type of light called?

would you consider some track lighting to cross the wall?
you could angle some heads up and some down or shine into the room?

if not check out this half-bowl white fixture==

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/wall-sconces/whitfield-lighting-eswl6553-energy-star-wall-sconce_g1043160.html?isku=7957499&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

energy star rated but it will mainly wash the upper wall and 12 ft tall--you won't get anything close to the floor...

this is more specific style --contemporary--
http://www.lightinguniverse.com/wall-sconces/murray-feiss-wb1220orb-boulevard-wall-sconce_g148713.html?isku=838617&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

that site is pretty easy to search--by type/size/price--

don't know what metal/color you might have going on in your room but take it from someone who just bought a house and the owners had multiple typs of lighting w/different metal finishes and styles
very offputting and just a terrible waste of their money IMO--
because if they had had a plan they could have done it in stages and still had it coordinated...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here