Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confusion re types of MR16 light bulbs

Posted by spoonbill (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 10:49

Can someone please tell me the difference between MR16 "open-faced" and "glass-enclosed" bulbs? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to either type?
We currently have both types in use and are having a phenomenal rate of burn-out, for some reason. I need to order them in bulk, but have to clue as to which I should get. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confusion re types of MR16 light bulbs

It has to do with the possibility of the halogen capsule exploding at the end of its service life and manufacturing other issues (see link).
You should buy them from an electrical supply house rather than a box store. I like the Sylvania MR16 lamps. I've know them to last many years.

Here is a link that might be useful: sealed MR16

o

Thank you so very much - that's EXACTLY what I wanted to know. I'm now remembering, as we were renovating this house, the head carpenter telling me about a kitchen MR16 in a tract fixture exploding and scaring him half to death. I've used versions of these bulbs for years, as an amateur - my life quest has been to find the extremely narrow beam spread ones which are spectacular aimed down at, say, flowers on a table. It makes the flowers look like they're glowing from within, since there's virtually no light on anything else. In any event, I'd never heard of them exploding, and assumed the carpenter's experience was just a fluke. I'll take your advice and try the Sylvania ones - thanks again!

o

The sylvania bulbs are ok, but the best are the ushio bulbs. The sealed unit also has UV protection. But either sealed or non sealed is ok, if you have the UV glass shield that come with some low voltage cans or other lights that take the 2 pin mr-16.

o

I will check out the ushio, too - thanks for the lead. I've never heard of the brand. These aren't in a can - just essentially "naked" in a track fixture. It's maddening, because MR16's are no fun, at BEST, to change, but in these un-cheap tracks, they're practically impossible to get out of the little metal housing, for lack of the correct term, that holds them. There's no room between the bulb and housing and you wind up having to exert tremendous pressure at an incredibly awkward angle.

o

Yeah, no worries. The ushio are great mr16 bulbs. You can also get them in a 20000 hr bulb. What tracks did you get? Tech?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here