Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy Yard Lighting

Posted by klaheta (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 10:47

Hi! I'm new to forums, but thought I'd get some advice for my new garden experiment. I relocated my garden to the back corner of my yard (the third location I've tried in 5 years; first because it won't get trampled by my dogs, second because my shed is in that corner so it makes it easier to get supplies. Anyways, I need some lighting when I go back there each morning but need to do it myself. Do they have solar type lights that I won't need to dig a wire for to light the garden and even into the shed? I tried regular solar, but they don't get enough sun to give me light in the early mornings. Not sure if I'll get an answer, in the meantime, I'm just using a flashlight.
Thanks for any feedback!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy Yard Lighting

Regular solar path lights use batteries that will not last through the night or provide enough lighting. In addition, the electronics + battery are typically not properly protected from the elements, so the lights tend to fail within a year or two.

Alternatives
1. Solar panel + large battery directly connected to a string of lights.
2. 120V AC direct wired lights.
3. Low voltage lights wired to a power supply.

In all cases, a wire needs to be buried.

o

One no-wiring solution I've seen is a single solar LED floodlamp with a large solar panel attached to it. They're not as bright as a lamp run off the electrical grid, but they are much brighter than typical cheap solar stake lights.

I have some solar path lights, some also with the same problem being in the shade. I pulled out the AA batteries that were included with the lights (old-fashioned low-capacity NiCads, only 400 or 600 mAh) and replaced them with low-self-discharge NiMH batteries with 2000 or higher mAh, and charged them externally before placing the batteriesin the lights. Now they stay bright through the night. On the rare occasions when there are no sunny days for a long stretch and the lights get dim, I just swap out the batteries for fresh ones, or recharge them externally in the daytime.

o

Thank you both for your feedback. I'm new to using this and based on another question I had, people can respond rudely, so I appreciate your advice. I thought I'd try the battery light idea to be cost efficient. I looked up led battery path light and found one that has a remote I can turn it on with. It's not solar, but the remote should work for my purpose. Think when it's on it will light my shed too. Should come next week so we'll see how the batteries hold up, but it had good reviews and . I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again for the idea!

o

Thank you both for your feedback. I'm new to using this and based on another question I had, people can respond rudely, so I appreciate your advice. I thought I'd try the battery light idea to be cost efficient. I looked up led battery path light and found one that has a remote I can turn it on with. It's not solar, but the remote should work for my purpose. Think when it's on it will light my shed too. Should come next week so we'll see how the batteries hold up, but it had good reviews and . I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again for the idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here