Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for lightguy on Cree LR6 Install

Posted by ronnyk (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 10:27

Hi lightguy,

I am planning on installing several LR6's in our family room. Although 6" lights would not have been my first choice for size if availability and cost weren't issues (I got a great deal on the LR6), I would like to minimize to the extent possible the size of the holes/cans in the ceiling, if this makes a difference. Cree's installation instructions show that a minimum can diameter of 5.75" will work and their compatibility list shows cans that have ceiling hole requirements ranging from 6.25" up to 7".

First, will can size make a difference in terms of appearance? Second, what reasonably priced can would you recommend for use with these lights?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for lightguy on Cree LR6 Install

Hey there.
Actually, whether you use a 5.75" diameter or a 6.25" diameter can which works with the LR6, it doesn't make a difference. Because when you install the unit and look up at it, the outside diameter of the LR6 will be the same. So the hole it's covering doesn't really matter.
So no, the can will not make a difference. As to what can to use- pretty much any solid 6" can. I'd probably avoid the $5.00 Big Box special cans. But you can probably find some good ones for under $20.00.

So what was the deal you got for the LR6's?

o

I purchased a lot of ten LR6s on Ebay for $710, got 10% back from Microsoft from its Live Search cashback promotion. So all in all, I paid about $65 each for the lights Ebay also has its own promotion where they give you 2% back in the form of a certificate that can be used for future Ebay purchases, so there is another $14 from that as well.

o

so, do i understand correctly that I can use the Cree LR4 light bulb (i think they call it an "engine") in any manufacturer's 120 volt 4" recessed can/housing?

o

Modern Miss-

Unfortunately, no. You have to use a 5" housing to fit the LR4.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here