Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbc_2006

Uba Tuba Granite / Kitchen Lighting

barbc_2006
16 years ago

I can't get undercabinet lighting. I am getting track lighting on the ceiling. Overall, my Uba Tuba granite looks solid and dark green in color. However, during certain times of the day, the natural lighting makes the colors explode into greens, golds and silvers!!! What is the best "type" of artifical light to get for my track lighting to bring out the awesome colors of Uba Tuba all the time?? ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thank you.

Comments (11)

• bestvalue
    16 years ago

Using under cabinet fluorescents, I found that my Sapphire Brown granite looked best when I mixed a warm light and a cool light. Others may tell you that halogens are best (white light, excellent color rendering). Take a sample to a lighting store and experiment. Good luck!

-- Amanda

• barbc_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Amanda!

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

Since you notice the color at certain times of day, it may have to do with the angle at which the light hits the surface. If you typically see the effect on clear days, in the morning or evening when the sun is low in the sky, then intense undercabinet lights might be a way to replicate it. In terms of sheer quantity of light, however, the sun pretty much blows artificial sources out of the water. It's unlikely you'll be able to get the same effect all of the time. Good luck.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

We have halogen puck lights over a linen hutch in our bathroom with a strip of Verde Labrador and the colors of the granite do pop. I just wish I could have them all around, but the GC they are too hot for all over use.
    Susan ~

• andee_gw
    16 years ago

I have recessed halogen flood lights over my Uba Tuba counter and it makes the granite look (more) gorgeous!

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

If anyone knows...

Can you put halogen floodlights in a regular recessed fixture or does it have to be one specified for halogen bulbs only? Thanks!

Susan ~

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

Susan, if you look inside the can (you may have to remove the trim) there should be a sticker listing the types and wattages of bulbs it's listed for. Even fixtures that can use halogen PAR bulbs will have a maximum wattage you'll need to observe.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

Thanks Jon, I'd have to look again but think ours say IC with some other code. Which I assume means incandescent...I was just hoping it would be possible to try a halogen in them.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

Thanks Jon, I'd have to look again but think ours say IC with some other code. Which I assume means incandescent...I was just hoping it would be possible to try a halogen in them.

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

IC means "insulation contact." It has nothing to do with the bulbs it will accept. Does any of the other code say something like "75R30" or "50PAR20?"

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

LOL, so that's what it means?? OK I'll be the first to admit, we have a lot to learn about lighting.... : )

I'll have to look at the code, but what we have in there now is 65 w incandescent floodlights -- BR 30s.
    Susan ~