Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I replace the UC LED pucks easily (xpost on Kitchen forum)

Posted by swspitfire (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 9:47

Kitchen reno:
We just had our LED lights installed in 2 glass cabinets, and under the cabinets (all the same pucks). The illumination is abysmal.
The electrician supplied these and these were the only LED pucks he had to offer.
I would like to do more research and find out what I can replace these with.
I do not want to replace the rough wiring. If possible I was thinking I would remove the undercabinet pucks and install them to a few more shelves inside the cabinets. The shelves are wood so this would allow more (dim) light through out the cabinet space.
Can these removed pucks be added to the existing ones?
Can I install different LED pucks or strips with the same existing wiring/transformer?
Any recommendations?
I am in Canada but I will probably go to the states to see what they have to offer.
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I replace the UC LED pucks easily (xpost on Kitchen forum

What's the voltage used? 12v?

You might be better off with led strip lighting.

As long as there are convenient disconnection points, it would be relatively easy to swap out the lights and transformer. Ie: the in wall wiring is done separate from the pucks with connectors near where the pucks are.

o

Hi davidtay
Yes they are 12 volts. They seem "stuck on ". Do you know if they can be easily removed? From the lack of illumination, I am guessing they are a pretty basic puck, nothing fancy.
It also said on the side of the puck, "limit of 8 per transformer". I have 9 so I should have 2 transformers.
Will one of these transformers be suitable for LED strips? Or do transformers match specific components?
TIA

o

Hi swapitfire,
Try using a thin paper cutter blade to separate the pucks from the bottom of the cabinet.

Whether you can reuse the transformer depends on the replacement led lights.
For example, if the new light requires 24v, the existing transformer will not work out.
If the new light requires 12v, but the total current draw exceeds what the transformer is able to supply, the existing transformer will not either.

Look around for lights with the adequate light output first.
In the meantime, check how the lights are connected to the transformer.
Hth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here