Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Looking for Motion Sensor Outdoor Light?

pbx2_gw
10 years ago

I'm looking for a Motion Sensor Outdoor Light that will be over our garage entry door of our detached garage.

This light would be over a door where we would walk into the garage. So security is paramount esp. since we usually are heads down & reach for the locked door handle.

Do you think it's better security to have a flood light, spotlight or light fixture?

Something that doesn't require wiring, solar maybe & LED.
Would welcome all recommendations based on your experiences.

A couple samples below:

Solar Floodlight

Non Solar LED Spotligh

Halogen Fixture

Comments (4)

• David
    10 years ago

If the area is fairly dark at night, I would prefer a flood light.

If you don't want 120V AC wiring, you'd need a substantial battery if the light has to stay on for long periods of time and/ or the output has to be significant, (eg - >1000 lumens).

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

Solars are very unpredictable for the most part. I would check Amazon and read reviews. I just went through this but i already have hardwire and just wanted the motion activated feature so that was easy. I just have a single flood (CFL) and it is fine for entry but not especially bright as it takes a minute to warm up but i did not want to be 'flooded' with light...just needed entry, dog walking etc. and still plenty to get things in and out of the car.

My solar on the back deck gets full sun and still had trouble and now no longer works after about one year. I've stopped looking at those but maybe something better is out there now.
    And disregard reviews right out of the box. Pay attention to those that have had the product for some time.

I think the third one you posted needs hardwire.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

Solars are very unpredictable for the most part. I would check Amazon and read reviews. I just went through this but i already have hardwire and just wanted the motion activated feature so that was easy. I just have a single flood (CFL) and it is fine for entry but not especially bright as it takes a minute to warm up but i did not want to be 'flooded' with light...just needed entry, dog walking etc. and still plenty to get things in and out of the car.

My solar on the back deck gets full sun and still had trouble and now no longer works after about one year. I've stopped looking at those but maybe something better is out there now.
    And disregard reviews right out of the box. Pay attention to those that have had the product for some time.

I think the third one you posted needs hardwire.

• David
    10 years ago

The problems with most residential use solar lights are largely due to
    1. The solar cells may not be able to fully charge the battery during the day.
    2. The solar cells on the lights do not last.
    3. The battery is typically not sufficient to power an adequate light, keep the light on for extended periods (i.e. > 1/2 hr) or power a light which gets motion triggered multiple times through the night.
    4. The electronic components may not be sufficiently protected from the weather.
    5. The battery lifespan may not be good.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH