Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phronesis_gw

odd dining room arrangement ��" light suggestions?

Phronesis
10 years ago

I'm remodelling my house and am very excited about it. I've run into problems, however, trying to figure out what sorts of light(s) to have in my dining room.

The new dining room was, prior to remodel, a little room that leads right onto the back porch. The little room was separated from the dining room by a wall. The remodel has turned the former dining room and turned it into the kitchen with the wall between the former dining room & future dining room taken down and will now be a peninsula (so folks can sit at the peninsula looking into the kitchen, with their back to the new (small dining room).

Now, the new dining room is small and, like I said, also is the room through which someone has to go to get to the back porch. All of this works well for me (I'm single and have a dog and will have folks over in very casual capacities). My plan is to have a farmhouse type table that will, for most of the time be pushed up against the wall of the dining room (that is, directly across from the peninsula) and when there are more than, say, 3 or 4 folks over needing the dining room table, we'll pull it out and center it in the room (there'll be just enough room to do this without the room looking like a storage vault).

So, here's the lighting question. What to do? There is a light fixture in the middle of the room already which I can replace, but I'm mystified as to the style. When the dining table is pulled out, this light will be over the center of the table (for the most part) but when the table is pushed to the side, it will just be a light in the room off to the side of the table and providing light in the rest of the main floor (it's now a very open floor plan). Oh, and it has to be a light that's high enough to walk under.

Most of the dining room lights I've looked at look like dining room lights that are intended to be hung over tables but can't, then, exist as a light that can be walked under as one goes to the back porch.

Anyone have any thoughts on a style of light that might work?

(sorry this is so long and lacking pictures ��" when I have pictures I'll post them)

thanks,

Jennifer

Comments (3)