Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you lay a fluorescent light on its back?

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 8:42

Some compact fluorescent bulbs have notes on the packaging that warn against using them upside down or sideways. Does the same apply to fluorescent tubes?

I have an interior room in which I want to lay a fluorescent tube light on the top of a bookcase, hoping to give some light to the room inexpensively. I plan to leave it on all the time. I was thinking of using a 48 inch two-light strip fixture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you lay a fluorescent light on its back?

That's a perfect use for that fixture.
Linear fluorescents are used all the time in valences and on top of kitchen cabinets.
A two light may be too bright, though.

o

Thanks! I will reconsider the size.

o

I've never seen the indirect light that is too bright. If you want some dimmer options you could do ropelight as well. I have fluorescent fixtures on the shelf and they are my favorite lighting.

o

I received an e-mail asking if I had done gone through with this idea and what the result was. I ended up not doing it, and instead placed two buffet lamps on the sideboard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here