Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dimmable CFL

Posted by sbkim (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 8:29

I apologize if this was discussed before but can you guys recommend a high quality dimmable CFL that works well in recessed housing? Per many reviews, many don't seem to work all that well with dimmers...

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dimmable CFL

E26 base CFLs do not survive very long in recessed housings as the electronic components will be operating above 120 degrees F. In addition, the lights utilize step dimming which could be noticeably different.

A CR6 (ECO-575) or CR4 (ECO4-575) work much better even though the posted max nominal output is 575 lumens..

o
RE: Dimmable CFL

Would love to do LED but budget doesn't allow for this... at least not yet until the prices drop. However, I do want to install dimmer switches in anticipation of upgrading to LED bulbs in the near future.

Here's another question for you lighting guru's. Can I install dimmers but keep it on high and use non-dimmable CFL without issues? In other words, I would only do "on" "off" but using dimmer switch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here