Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor Solar Landscape Lighting Question

Posted by frank1203 (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 11 at 6:10

Hello, I would like to install some solar lights to border around my deck in the back yard. The yard gets plenty of sun, but here is the issue. I want to place the lights even with where the deck ends and basically surround the entire perimeter with lights. As such, due to where I would like to place the lights, a good amount of the sunlight will be blocked or shaded by the deck and therefore I will only get inconsistent lighting. What complicates this is that most of the landscape type solar lights that I've seen have the charger on top of the lantern which in my setup under the deck, will prohibit the sun from getting to it consistently. For this to work, I really need to find a solar lantern that has the charger in the front of the light as opposed to the top of the light. I've also heard there are some lights that have a separate wire that has a charger attached to it that you can move around to get the best sunlight which will then feed the lights. Problem with that is that I would have to bury the wires which is not what I want to do. Any suggestions on what kind of light I may be able to purchase to solve my issue? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor Solar Landscape Lighting Question

Why not try the LED solar lights from Restoration Hardware? They have remote solar panels that you can locate 5 or 6 feet away. I use them and they work nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: restoration hardware solar flood lights

o

Thanks for the idea. I did check out the link that you attached and this sounds like exactly the concept of what I need except I need lantern type lights as opposed to flood lights. This company does make lantern type solar lights but they don't appear to have a remote solar panel. Any other ideas? You are on the right track. Thanks again.

o

I would definitely not waste your time and money with solar lights. Do it once and do it right. I have installed landscape lighting at hundreds of homes, and I would never use solar because it is all cheaply made and will not last very long. Install low voltage lighting, trust me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Experienced electrical contractor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here