Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recessed lighting??

Posted by akjen (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 0:20

I plan on putting recessed lighting in my kitchen (about 350 sq ft with an island) but have no idea as far as placement, etc...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recessed lighting??

That is a very broad question. Budget, room color, ceiling height, local electrical code all factor into the solution. How energy efficient do you want to be? Are you willing to sacrifice some light level to be more efficient? How tall are the ceilings? Wall Colors? Cabinet Colors? Budget?
Have all of this information and then visit a good reliable Lighting Showroom and speak to a qualified Lighting consultant. If anyone tries to begin recommending a product before they ask these questions.....move on. They aren't interested in solving you problem, just selling lights. Take a scaled drawing with you of the space, placement is all important. One size does not fit all........Ask for the photometrics of the recessed housing, trim and bulb that is being recommended. All 3 of these work together and they should not be looked at independently. Do some research on-line, there are good sources......read several different articles. There are some out there who just write articles to get on the web. Look for some credentials. You are looking for light levels of about 50 footcandles for a kitchen, with light concentrated over your work spaces. As I said, answers to all those questions will determine what is best for your application. Know the effect you want before you shop. A good lighting consultant can help you select the best solution for you kitchen. Sorry, there is no simple answer. Different combinations of housing, trim and bulbs require different placements to achieve good lighting for you kitchen. Recessed lighting can be as little as 15.00 for the 3 elements or as much as 150.00 each. Know what your requirements are before you g shopping. The variety of what is available is tremendous. Some of it will be right for your requirement, some won't. Shop if possible, where there is a variety of recessed lighting on display, preferably where there is a lighting lab setup. Many large showrooms have these. This will allow you to judge the different types available before you purchase. Remember, Ceiling Height, Wall Color, Budget, type of light you want to use (incandescent, halogen, 120 volt, 12 volt, fluorescent CFL's or self ballasted fluorescent, even LED's are available to light kitchens today as long as you have very deep pockets. Don't buy cheap LEDS's. They have terrible color and no light. Same caution for CFL fluorescents, buy the best bulb you can afford. A little extra is well worth it. Good luck. I hope this helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here