Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lainie55

Will xenons be allowed after 2012?

lainie55
14 years ago

Have been researching the 2007 law that will require phase out of incandescent lightbulbs beginning in 2012.

The articles mention that fluorescents/compact fluorescents will be used/available instead.

(I think/hope there will be exceptions for refrigerator and microwave bulbs, and MAYBE for candelabra bulbs?).

But I've been unable to find out if OTHER types of bulbs will still be available to purchase...such as halogen and xenon.

They are (only slightly?) more energy efficient than incandescents.

I assume LEDs will be allowed, cause they are very energy efficient (but expensive).

Prefer to get xenon fixtures for undercabinet kitchen lighting, but hate to have them be obsolete in a few years. Although the bulbs will last a very long time....and I could order extra bulbs to stockpile.

I like the option of low/high settings I can do with xenon but cannot with fluorescent--why not just automatically getting fluorescent.

(It's a retrofit situation; with backsplash already tiled and electrician says he can't put a dimmer on them, cause just going to turn them on at the lights themselves--no wall switches).

Anyone know more??

Lainie

Comment (1)