Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brutuses

What color cans and what type of bulb?

brutuses
16 years ago

Hi

I'm back!!!! We are ready to pick out our recessed lights and have decided on the 6" recessed eye ball. Those of you who know this lighting stuff, tell me, what are the benefits and drawbacks of either the black or the white inside baffle? Am I calling that the right name? My husband says the black will cut down on glare and wants to put those outside in the porch ceiling and in the house. I told him I don't think I want the black in the house because it won't look as nice as white. Which do you have and why? Also, PAR means a light is halogen, is that right? Is it correct that the halogen light is a brighter, whiter light? Do you use halogen in all your recessed lights or a mix of incandescents also? In which applications do you use each. We will have recessed lights throughout the house, both as wall and kitchen cabinet accents and room ambient lighting so I need to know which lights to use for each application. I hope I'm not asking too much. Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)

• formulaross
    16 years ago

We used Juno white baffles from Lowe's because 1) black wasn't available, and 2) black, in our opinion, would probably stick out like a sore thumb on a white ceiling. We used the bulbs spec'd by Juno (which essentially recessed them a couple inches behind the ceiling surface) and the look is non-glare and quite pleasing. All are open baffles in the whole house except for 2 spots. PAR means Parabolic Aluminized Reflector and is the shape & coating of the reflective glass at the back of the bulb. Most halogens are PAR's, but I think some regular tungsten bulbs can be PAR's as well. Halogen is a whiter ligh because the halogen cycle (google it for more info) allows the tungsten filaments to burn hotter and thus more white without sacrificing life. We used halogens in recessd cans in all living and task areas - kitchen, family room, baths, den, bedrooms, etc. and regular tuingsten in hallways. The candelabra bulbs in chandeliers are regular tungsten as are the regular screw-in bulbs over the dining room table and kitchen island pendants.

• ilitem
    16 years ago

You are both right about the black and white trims. Black trims were the first on the market. However, most homeowners have switched to white trims for the interior. I would probably put the black ones outside because they show less dirt.

Check the trims that you are purchasing to find out which light bulbs they will take before worrying about PAR and regular flood lamps. Some trims will not take both. don't mix the light bulbs in one room. Decide which lamps you want in which area and stay with it. If the recessed light you are using can use both types of bulbs, then you can decide if you want a warmer light or a brighter light in the area.

At times we have mixed these by putting the brighter, whiter PAR lamps in task areas (i.e., kitchens) and the more yellow incandescent bulbs in the living areas (living room, dining room, etc.) depending on the colors that were being used. If you are contemporary, the PAR lamps are wonderful. If you are traditional we have used the regular reflector lamps.

This is all a personal choice and I would suggest that you look at how both lamps would look in your home. Remember, you can always dim the PAR lights down and even though they will be white looking, they won't be as bright.