Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting for Entryway

Posted by NaplesGuy (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 22:28

I am trying to figure out how large of a light fixture and how much wattage we need for our entry way. It is a 2 story entry way that is about 17.5 feet wide by 15 feet deep with 23 foot ceilings. Half of the width is the foyer and the other half is a staircase. The fixture will be hung to be centered between them. See the attached plan (it's the chandelier I'm concerned about). There's 4 recessed lights in the ceiling in that area, so I'm trying to figure out what I need for the chandelier. The one our decorator proposed has 4 60 watt bulbs. It doesn't sound like a lot to me given the size of the space, but maybe it is, given the recessed cans in the ceiling.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting for Entryway

It could suffice assuming a ~ 20 lumens per sq ft. 17.5 * 15 *20 = 5250.

A 60 W incandescent bulb produces ~ 800+ lumens. So 4 bulbs would provide ~ 3200 lumens.

A recessed can will produce ~ 500 - 550 lumens light. A Cree Cr6/ CR4 will produce ~ 575 lumens (max nominal rating). If you have a dimmer cut the max by 5%.

Assuming a reduced output of 546 per can, you get 2400 (chandelier) + 4 * 546 = 5384 lumens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here