Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making a box light

Posted by Tom2013 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 22:21

Hopefully this is the right forum for this question. I want to build a light fixture similar to a Hubbardton Forge 137660. the dimensions I want are a little different and the Hubbardton fixture is over $1300. I am wondering if anyone has built a light fixture like this and what they used for materials. What kind of cloth and what was used for the framwork. The actual lighting part is not an issue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making a box light

I am sorry that I don't know what Hubbardton refers to..

o

Sorry, Hubbardton Forge is a lighting manufacturer and 137660 is the model of this fixture. I like that style of fixture.

o

"Hubbardton Forge 137660"

You need more digits in the part number to identify what light you are looking at.

Just those digits returns over 5 pages of lights.

o

If you go directly to hubbardtonforge.com and search for 137660, the light will show up. Double click on the picture and the dimensions will be displayed. I think the other numbers just indicate color. Their dimensions would work well for me.

o

The installation instructions show enough construction details you should be able to come up with something close.

As long as you stay well clear of the bulbs, linen is likely suitable.

One of the tougher things is maingthe sheet metal backing stiff enough not to flex.

if you use aluminum sheet (about 1/16 inch thick) and then conceal some even 1/4 inch aluminum angle on the top or bottom in a rectangle you may get enough stiffness for handling and installing. without having to form the flat metal.

There are numerous metal dealers that will cut small custom rectangles to order.
Model hobby shops should have small section aluminum angle (or look around on the net).
A decent hardware store should have sockets.

You may have to use some sheet metal to make things like socket holders.
Aluminum 1/8 inch short length pop rivets are likely to be your friend here.
Make sure the rivet end is hidden from view.
The dome head is flat and relatively inconspicuous.

If you drive out the expander pin you can even hammer the rivet end to further flatten it in many cases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installation instructions

This post was edited by brickeyee on Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 11:56

o

Thanks for the link. I didn't think about looking at the installation instructions. That should help quite a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here