Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need more natural light

Posted by drjay71 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 22:02

Hello all.

We are currently about 2 months from completing our new home and our very concerned that we don't have enough natural light during the day. We want our kitchen to be a very bright and well lit room during the day without the need for artificial lighting. We went with a golden wall color and we get plenty of light into the adjacent living room and dining room. The kitchen itself has 2 small windows and faces west.

Above the kitchen is a gameroom so that essentially rules out adding a sunlight. We could, potentially add a sun tunnel light but don't really have much space to run it down to the kitchen.

What other options can you guys think of? What about replacing our light bulbs? We have 10 recessed can lights and 2 light fixtures in the kitchen. I assume the builder has put in standard bulbs. Would LED or any other bulbs do a better job?

BTW, the pictures below were taked during a very sunny day and in real life the room is not that bright.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need more natural light

To get help with lamp replacement info one would have to know the brand and model of both the recessed fixture housings and trims and what lamp was used, and where these fixtures are placed in the room.

Example - Halo H5ICAT/5001P Sylvania 65BR30 and fixtures are about 5' apart placed over my counter top work surfaces, or fixtures are over my aisle ways, etc. The housing info is inside the fixture or the installer knows.

Otherwise it's all just a guess which is what your builder has already done if the lighting is not to your liking. There are rules of thumb to follow and also some detailed math if one doesn't wish to gamble when building.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here