Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help! Under cabinet lighting

Posted by tanyaandmatt13 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 21:38

I am new to the forum, and this is my first time posting. My husband and I are remodeling our kitchen. We will have Ubatuba (black, dark) granite counters and tan, light tan, and brown tiles for our backsplash. The backsplash will coordinate with our floors. Our cabinets are maple and medium-toned (Rye) with an onyx glaze. Our kitchen is average size.

What type of linear under-cabinet lighting should we get?

Fluorescent or LED? (I think we are leaning toward fluorescent)

Warm or cool fluorescent? (I like warm colors and would like this but don�t know if it gives off as much light as cool)

T8, T5, or T4 (why did you pick it?)

How did you figure out what length of linear lights to use? (I know they say measure smallest cabinet and use largest size, but how do you accommodate for random-sized cabinets?)

How important is lux? We have a relatively dark kitchen and want to make sure we have enough lighting for tasks such as cutting and cooking. (I�ve read 500 is the best and 300 is minimum, so what do you recommend? I don�t want it to be ridiculously bright,)

Uniformity ratio of 5:1 or less? Is that correct?

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help! Under cabinet lighting

There is a long running thread on Ucl which I've provided a link to. Although the main focus is on led, the fundamental principles apply to strip lighting.

T8 is not used for Ucl - profile too large and too long.

For small profiles, t4 is the most logical choice. If you need a profile under 1", led is the better option.

Fluorescent lighting tends to be cooler in color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ucl continuation

o

Thanks for the response David, good read. So I think we are almost decided on T4 fluorescents.

My main question is about the electrical hard wiring. I see they need to be parallel, but as far as the junction/transformer box, is that necessary or can the wiring go straight to the switch? We don't have any state restrictions. And don't worry, I'm not doing it but want to make sure the electrician does it properly.

Also, I see that the big box stores offer GE and Juno and I think Pegasus is only on their website, are there other good brands for fluorescents?

Thanks for the help.

o

The wiring is similar to that for multiple lights controlled by a single switch.

The 2 main components for fluorescent lighting are the tube and ballast which can be pretty generic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here