Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yankca

New LED bedroom lights

yankca
10 years ago

Hi, made my secondary kitchen into a bedroom. This will be a guest bedroom /library work room for husband, that will be rarely used. No friends and don't like our extended family. I'm looking at LED's in 4 inch, new construction type, IC, 3000 K, cans for the ceiling. About 165 ft.� according to what I read online you multiply that by 1.5 to get 248 total wattage needed for the room. Which I think means 4 can lights at approximately 65 W each. What is the difference between the Halo LED series vs the Halo All-Pro series? The difference seems to be the All-Pro series is 525 lums and 10 watts vs the LED series of 13 Watts and around 700 lums based on various trims. Also the Juno 1c1LED- G3 � 3K is 600 lums and 12 W. Price for the Juno and the Halo LED series are approximately the same little over $150. the halo all ProSeries is about $70. Now which one do I buy and how many? Thank you in advance

Comments (5)

• David
    10 years ago

The better way to estimate the number of lights required is by the considering the lumens per sq ft vs light output from the lamp.
    eg - 165 sq ft @ 20 lumens = 3300 lumens total.
    Considering a Cree CR4 @ 575 lumens (546 lumens ~95% if a dimmer is used)

Total 6 lights.

The CR4 itself is ~ $40 or so @ Home Depot. Trim ring already attached. Can be used in a Halo can (E26 base).

Look at all the lights (when turned on). The Cree lights seem to have the least glare and dimming ability.

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much. Attached is a new picture. The real living area is 130 ft.ò the rest of the area is really closet. The 165 number is based on ordering the floor tiles. Still a bit confused considering the lumens, would it be better to go with the LED series a little over 700 lumens per can and only use 4? Or use five of either the Cree or Juno or all ProSeries? How should they also be placed? Thinking about labor cost also. Thank you for all help and input.

• David
    10 years ago

A higher output light would seem like a good idea. In practice, maybe not depending on the light distribution, glare,...

Look at the lights in operation before making your choice and price out each choice- trim, lens,... Since lamps like the CR4 and Sylvania RT4 are complete units (excluding the housing), it's possible to try them out.

6" can lights are cheaper.

The Cree CR lights worked very well for many people.

The install price would be identical - cost of installing the recessed can housing, wiring. Price depends on where you live.

The actual placement of the lights depends on whatever is above the ceiling board. ~2.5' from the wall would work. Since this is a bedroom, the lighting requirement may be reduced to 15 lumens per ft and the overhead lighting may be supplemented by table lamps

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much. You helped me a lot. I bought all pro series. I really am so happy with the help received on garden web.

• adrianjuaneli
    10 years ago

Today, Led lights plays a vital role in lighting system. LED is a semiconductor diode which emits the lights with the help of electric current.

Here is a link that might be useful: optical design