Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for advise on chandelier motorized lifts.

Posted by sophya (polya@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Apr 10, 07 at 20:02

Does anyone have one of these? Are they worth the cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for advise on chandelier motorized lifts.

Are you just trying to lift the chandelier up to it's permanent home? If so, I would suggest using scaffolding. Much cheaper.

o

I don't have a chandelier lift but have sold many of them to customers that have two story or more ceiling heights. The initial cost is quite expensive. But the upkeep of the chandelier is what you have to consider.

If scaffolding is used to install the chandelier there are questions that need to be asked: Can I change the lightbulbs without the scaffolding or putting up a very tall ladder? When the chandelier needs to be cleaned, will I be able to do this myself or have to call in a contractor (which is really expensive) to do it.

Usually, the lift is installed by an electrician. There is a motorized unit in the attic and they wire a box in the room that look slike a light switch box. A key is used to lower and raise the chandelier, which makes it much, much easier to change the lamps and clean the fixture.

I have had people that hang themselves over the second floor balcony and use a cane to pull the chandelier over to change the bulbs and clean. I have others that call in a professional chandelier cleaner once a year to do the cleaning and relamping. It all depends on what you want to do.

Personally, I would rather put the my money into the lift and if I had to postpone putting the chandelier up.

I would check and see if Aladdin has a website. It is a chandelier lift company. They may have all of the information that you need.

The other point that we like to make is this: If you are young some things are easier to do. At my age and that of most "boomers" I don't want to have to take care of this type of item by getting out ladders or hanging over railings. I would rather turn a key and have the chandelier come down to me.

A professional chandelier cleaner that I know even charges less if he doesn't have to put up the scaffolding or carry in large ladders.

o

Just installed a ALL200RM. Would not think twice about the money. After all, how much do you spend on the chandelier- x3, x5 the cost of the lift?

o

Thanks for the input, kat_ofhb. My lights still aren't installed, but I can't wait to give the motorized lift a try!!

o

^Who is spec'ing and installing the lift? Also, is this going into new construction? Either way, give consideration to servicing. Also, the liability of these is such that nobody unknowingly should tamper with the cabling. Just a friendly warning.

o

i am putting a wiltshire lift in my new house. i liked it better than the aladdin. it also comes with more standard features than the aladdin. try lightingbygregory.com it is the cheapest i have found---the coupon they have i have seen as high as 18% off.

hope this helps!

o

What about some kind of MANUAL lift, that you could operate from the attic? Tool companies make all kinds of lifts and chain hoists for mechanical equipment. Stuff that can lift a half ton, and only costs like $139, not $1000 like those chandelier hoists. Can't someone make something like this for chandeliers?

Here is a link that might be useful: my not ready for primetime blog

o

you may find a chandelier lifter at www.remotelightinglifter.com.

o

"Tool companies make all kinds of lifts and chain hoists for mechanical equipment. Stuff that can lift a half ton, and only costs like $139, not $1000 like those chandelier hoists. Can't someone make something like this for chandeliers?"

The cord is the issue, along with the requirement the equipment be 'listed' for use as permanent wiring.

Scaffolding is fine until you need to change a bulb.

o

Hey Ray Sue -- I couldn't get your link to work. Can you check it and post it again?

Thanks.

o

you can find many kinds of cheap,easy installing lift for chandelier on www.senseslighting.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here