Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whenicit

What Wattage for Can Lights?

whenicit
17 years ago

Hi,

We are building a new house and an evening walk-through this past week made us think our lighting was poor. There were some shadows and overall it just did not feel warm and bright. We noticed the bulbs in the can lights are 65W. Does this seem too low? We have 10 in an area of the basement (think small seating area & pool table) which looks low-lighted. Our kitchen also has 8-10 and it seemed dim as well. Our other theory is whether this is related to having dimmer switches on the cans? Can a dimmer switch be installed incorrectly causing it to be too dim even when on 100%?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• Jon1270
    17 years ago

Wattage alone isn't very meaningful; without knowing ceiling heights, room sizes and the type of bulbs used, it's tough to say much.

Davidr may see this and say, quite rightly, that recessed lights are not a great way to fill a space with light; they are better suited to putting concentrated light on particular surfaces.

It's very unlikely that the dimmers have anything to do with this.

• dim4fun
    17 years ago

A lighting designer typically uses different types of lighting fixtures in a space to achieve the desired illumination level. You may have plenty of light but it may be directed to the wrong places. An example is a room with reading levels of light over the seating area using recessed fixtures but no washing of the walls creating a "cave" effect. Though the meter says the lighting is OK at the couch people see the room as dark because the walls are dark. Recessed fixtures are often overused. They should not usually be the only source of light in a room. Over a seating area they often create dramatic shadowing on the people seated and we donÂt look very good displayed that way. Eyebrows can create shadows and large bags under the eyes. Table lamps at the seating area are often used to fill in and light peopleÂs faces from a horizontal direction to reduce shadows. Table lamps also direct light at the walls as do pendants and chandeliers. To sum up: in a typical bedroom you may have to put in four 65 watt recessed fixtures to replace a single 120 watt pendant in the center to make the room feel right even though a meter under a single recessed fixture will say itÂs plenty of light.

• whenicit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Clearly I am no lighting scientist. LOL. Thanks for your thoughts. I was hoping someone could look up in their room, check the wattage of their floods in the cans and tell me, "mine are bright at 75W". There are pendants in the kitchen in addition to the cans but there are no other lights in the basement area. However, there likely will be a lamp or two. I did not want an overhead fixture over the kitchen table as it interfers with the view outside. We also have undercounter lighting and a lighted tall cabinet but I don't really count that as anything more than task lighting.

Not sure where to go from here. May be stuck...

• dim4fun
    17 years ago

Perhaps if you provide the info Jon mentioned someone might be able to offer some advice. Include the brand and model of recessed fixture used including the trim. There may be other trims and lamps more suitable.