Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soft white led lights same color as incandescent?

Posted by lblue (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 18:42

I am seeking to add undercabinet lights (kitchen is already done) to my inset style flat bottom (no recessed lip) white cabinets. I like the look of xenon, but the thinnest fixtures I have seen are 1 inch.

I came across the very low profile soft white led premium environmentallights online & they look like they might be similar warm white tone to xenon/incandescent at a color temp of 2600-3000. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this product in the soft white color & if it is similiar to the same warm white of xenon/incandescent?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soft white led lights same color as incandescent?

In addition to an appropriate color temperature - 3000K will be closer to most halogen than 2600K - I suspect that what you're looking for is high CRI (color rendering index). Low CRI is what makes colors look flat or wrong in some kinds of low-cost and older fluorescent and LED lights.

Incandescent has a perfect CRI of 100. On the other hand, a sodium vapor light might have a CRI of 20. Some old linear fluorescents were as low as 50-60 CRI, but most linears today are at least 76-78, and the good ones are in the 82-86 range.

Most CFs also run around 82-86 CRI. Good (read: pricey) LED run anywhere from 80 to 90 CRI. Cheap ones can be much lower, however.

Others here (Davidtay, are you listening?) are more familiar with LED UCLs than I am, but of the little I've seen of them, my impression has been that the light quality varies quite a bit. Since some of the low end LED manufacturers fudge on incandescent wattage equivalence, I'd tend to be a bit skeptical about their claims for CRI - if they even make any.

You won't get 100 CRI in LEDs regardless, but whether what you CAN get will satisfy you is really a matter of your own taste.

I know, it costs more to go to a local lighting store, but at least there you can see what the light actually looks like. And with some stores you can return it if you find it isn't to your taste (be sure to inquire before laying down your cash).

Again, I'm speaking more from theory than from experience. I wouldn't have written at all, but for the fact that no one else was responding. Maybe this will prompt someone else to comment.

o
RE: soft white led lights same color as incandescent?

Check out the LED UCL DIY thread on this forum. Some folks have used the soft white LED bars from environmentallights.

I chose the neutral white.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here