Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

is it easy to change out an electrical socket in a lamp?

michoumonster
11 years ago

Hi all, I really like the look of a vintage swag light for my small bath. But am wondering if I can buy a vintage light and change out the electrical components in the light to make it fluorescent and bath friendly? What would I need to buy to do this? Is this something an amateur can do?

here is the type of light that I would like to hang in my bath.

thanks for any advice!

Comments (11)

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

Remove the incandescent lamp and install cfl.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Snoonyb is right - you should be able to just replace the bulb. Just to mention, though, my MIL has a set of three of those lights in her seldom used powder room and the the glass is really, really fragile. Be careful when buying.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

snonyb and graywings, thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, I am in CA and doing a new construction. They require either using high efficiency lighting, or if i use incandescent, i would need to do a vacancy sensor which will turn the light off whenever it thinks someone has left the bathroom. This being a small bath, it is the only light I have, and I am afraid that the sensor would turn the light off whenever someone is *ahem* indisposed in the bath. The choices for fluorescent are so limited, so i was thinking i could try to rework an incandescent one if it is easy..

• David
    11 years ago

You need a GU24 base (non E26 base) socket for the fixture to qualify as high efficiency.

GU24 base CFL bulbs will cost more than the E26 base CFLs.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

davidtay, thanks, do you know if it is easy to replace an e26 base with a gu24 base socket though? i have also found these socket adapters that screw into the e26 base, which seems like a really easy way, though i wonder if these would qualify since it is too easy to remove after inspection..

Here is a link that might be useful: gu24 socket adapter

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

Well, since it just us chickens, Install the CFL, buy a G24 bulb and leave the empty package on the counter for the inspector to see that you "just got the fixture reassembled."

• David
    11 years ago

Replacing a socket will require desoldering the existing socket and soldering the replacement.

The wire and socket have to be removed from the fixture, the socket replaced and the entire assembly put back into the fixture.

Legally, you are not permitted to use the socket adapter to qualify as a high efficiency fixture.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Replacing a socket will require desoldering the existing socket and soldering the replacement. "

Rarely is anything soldered any more.

Crimps or screws, with a lot of crimps in volume manufacturing.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

snoonyb, i think i would be too chicken to try that with the inspector. but maybe, if i get desperate enough..

davidtay, soldering does not sound too promising for an amateur like me to do.. though if it is just screwing or crimping like brickeyee says, maybe it might be worth an attempt.. hmmm. i will have to start looking through craigslist for some cheap test lamps..

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Any components you purchase now to retrofit will not require soldering.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the info brickeeye! sounds very promising to DIY. also, i just got some info from one of those socket adapter companies. looks like if i get a socket adapter with the anti-reverse feature, then it would qualify as a high efficiency light for energy rebate purposes because once it is installed, it cannot be removed. i will call up my city to see if they would accept it also. this would be the easiest solution!